Sunday, September 25, 2011

Retouching Self-Portrait


Artist’s Statement
I wanted to make my self-portrait a comment on the skewed vision of beauty in the mainstream media. It is foolish to assume that the celebrities we see in magazines actually look that way. I took an old photo of myself, from when I was three, and morphed myself into something that could be seen on a magazine cover. When looking at the photo I want people to feel unsettled. What they are supposed to be looking at is a young child, yet now they have been presented with something sexualized and morphed into somewhat of a cartoon. I changed my eyes, hair, lips, neck, and the general shape and size of my body in the picture. Afterwards it seems to be a completely different person. This is a good comment on how people change themselves on the internet and how they can create a completely different persona. 


3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I love it!!! You came up with such a good concept/idea. It still reminds me of those creepy toddlers and tiaras, little girls shouldn't look like this, they should be out having fun and playing in dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out awesome!!!!! You really made yourself look like a creepy toddler and tiara child!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concept is great on this and very relevant today. If you were trying to make me feel uncomfortable you have succeeded!

    ReplyDelete